Sambalpur: A wild elephant was found dead at Sambalpur Sadar range after being electrocuted from a trap laid by poachers for wild boars.
According to reports, the elephant had reportedly died on December 5, the matter came to the fore after forest officials spotted the carcass of the elephant at Bhimkhoj forest under the Sadar forest range in Sambalpur, informed the DFO.
According to a preliminary probe, it was learnt that the jumbo died of electrocution after coming in contact with the 11KV live wire laid for poaching wild boars.
Soon after being alerted, forest personnel rushed to the spot and launched a probe. Swinging into action, the forest officials detained three poachers from Khairamal village for interrogation in this regard.